• Home
  • Services
  • About
  • Team
  • Contact
  • Blog
  • Videos
  • Reviews

Tax Dispute Resolution Services

Taxpayers often end up in disputes with revenue agencies like the tax office. At Tax Controversy Partners, we offer tailored tax dispute resolution services to clients across Australia. Our qualified professionals can help you evaluate your case, facilitate discussions with revenue agencies and move to find a suitable resolution for your individual circumstances. Contact our team today.

How Our Specialists Can Help

The specialists at Tax Controversy Partners are highly qualified to help you handle tax-related disputes in Australia. Our tax representation services include but are not limited to:

  • Compliance risk management

  • Drafting documentation for advice and submissions to the revenue agencies

  • Assistance with mediation

  • Filing documentation to revenue agencies on your behalf

  • Negotiating and maintaining relationships with tax bodies

  • Litigation support Controversy prevention

Additionally, should your case escalate to a court or otherwise, we can defend your position from start to finish. Our services encompass the following:

  • Appeals and objections
  • Arbitration
  • Reporting to relevant tax bodies
  • Mediation and negotiation
  • Settlement
  • Offering industry advice and opinions

Frequently Asked Questions

To learn more about tax objections and resolutions, consult our frequently asked questions below. Alternatively, you can reach out to us directly, and we’ll endeavour to get you a response as soon as possible.

  • What is a Tax Objection?

    In Australia, tax objections are formal procedures that allow taxpayers to appeal a decision or assessment declared by the ATO. Every taxpayer has a legal right to lodge an objection should they choose, provided they do so within the required timeframes, including deadline extensions. Some reasons for an objection include:

    • Disagreeing with the assessment
    • Requesting a review from a third party
    • The ATO has chosen to retain your refund
    • You are uncertain of the legal requirements of paying tax/lodging a return
  • How Do I Object My Tax Assessment?

    Lodging a tax objection with the ATO in Australia is free. To object to a recent assessment, the ATO recommends using its Taxpayer Objection Form. In addition, you can draft a letter explaining why the decision concluded by the ATO is incorrect. The letter must be signed and dated. Your objection form and letter must also include:

    • Your full details (full name, date of birth, address)
    • Tax file number (TFN)
    • Any supporting documents you have to back up your objection

    Our specialist team at Tax Controversy Partners can assist you with the process, liaising with the ATO on your behalf. Reach out for assistance with your tax matters today.

  • How Long Do I Have to Lodge an Objection?

    Timeframes depend on the notice given to you by the ATO. Those time limits can vary from 60 days to four years. Refer to the ATO’s Objection and Time Limit page for more information.